This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Church of St Peter, Walgrave, 2014
|OS grid reference|
|• London||76 miles (122 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Walgrave is a village and civil parish in the Daventry district of the county of Northamptonshire, England. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish's population was 822 people, increasing to 868 at the 2011 Census.
St Peter's, a sandstone-spired church, is in the centre of the village. Throughout the autumn and winter, residents make donations to illuminate the church from 8.30pm. The west tower is 13th century, but the church is mostly 14th century. There is a monument to Mountague Lane, died 1670. Walgrave is part of a united benefice which also includes the parishes of Hannington, Old and Scaldwell with each village retaining its own church.
The rectory, east of the church dates from 1687.
Up the road from St Peter's is the 18th-century Baptist chapel. Although the Baptist church was founded before 1700, the present chapel was built in 1786 in typical Northamptonshire non-conformist style, being slightly wider than it is long. Built of the local brown limestone, with a gate guarded by two yew trees, it clashes a little with the attached brick-built Sunday School of 1899. The former graveyard has been converted into a garden area.
The remains of Walgrave Hall are in the north part of the village. The manor dates from around the 13th century. The hall had a tower on the left and then a lower wing. The remains of the hall are now sub-divided but the plast coat of arms of the Langham family remain with the date 1674. There is a fine staircase of c.1630.
Walgrave Primary School is in Kettering Road, Walgrave. Details of a series of reports on the school can be found in the relevant section of the Ofsted website. At the time of the inspection in March 2011 the number of pupils enrolled stood at 125.
Walgrave is home to one of Northamptonshire's oldest football teams. Formed in 1896, the club played in the Northamptonshire League (subsequently to become the United Counties League), the Kettering & District Combination League, and more recently the Northants Central Combination League. In the last years of the 20th century, the club was forced to fold, and played for a while under the name Walgrave Royal Oak. After a gap of some 12 years, Walgrave Amber FC was reformed by David Rhodes. It formally re-affiliated with the Northants FA in 2007 and re-joined the Northants Combination League in time for the start of the 2008/9 season. The club's original nickname, The Pipe Stems, has only recently been unearthed. Several Amber players have gone on to play professional football at the highest level, most notably Harry Walden who starred in Northampton Town's rise from Division 4 obscurity to Division 1 between 1963 and 1966.
Walgrave Amber now plays its home games at the nearby new village of Mawsley, the facilities at the Walgrave Playing Field being no longer up to standard and the playing surface suffering a drainage collapse. Discussions regarding an upgrade of the changing rooms and renovation of the pitch are ongoing.
- Office for National Statistics: Walgrave CP: Parish headcounts. Retrieved 25 November 2009
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1961). The Buildings of England – Northamptonshire. London and New Haven: Yale University Press. pp. 440–441. ISBN 978-0-300-09632-3. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
|coauthors=(help)CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "St. Andrew's Old". Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Walgrave Primary School". Ofsted. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
Media related to Walgrave at Wikimedia Commons